Monday, November 17, 2014

Fall Garden Fun




We recently revived the garden that was covered in no less than a foot of grass and weeds. It took three days to complete the task, with everyone pitching in  .... very be grudgingly of course.  Now that things are growing the kids can more clearly see what their work has produced. Tiny green sprouts emerging from every seed they placed in the ground. I was raised by parents that grew by all standards a huge family garden (it could feed a small village) and I am not going to lie .... I hated it. I hated picking the purple hull peas... I hated picking the green beans.... I hated the bugs and the muggy hot mornings when you had to wake up much to early to work!  It's almost comical that I would plant one myself and then force my kids to do what I hated. When I was a child it looked like torture and now it looks beautiful. Every time I walk out and piddle in the dirt, water, weed etc. It brings a since of joy and accomplishment. I think I love the fall garden even more because you get to enjoy a nice growing season without the Texas summer heat beating you down. I look forward every day to seeing what has grown and changed.
     It took me sometime, being new to the area, to find a store that sold bulk seed not to mention plants that were not overpriced, but what fun when I did. We planted: mustard greens, radish, carrots, spinach, kale, red and green cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, peas, onions, and strawberries..... now all I have to do is keep our pet rabbit cheeto from reeking havoc.

                                                                    



Everyone hanging out before


 








Cheeto trying to get in