Sunday, February 24, 2013

Day Tripping to Amsterdam part 1

      This weekend we took a day trip to Amsterdam. It started off pretty rocky with me and Michael arguing over the amount of advanced planning that took place. I like to just go... half the fun is finding new places and things to see and do? Michael does not share my enthusiasm for winging it! We ended up taking a train to the main station which was beautiful and was built in 1889. The architecture and canals all around Amsterdam make it a truly beautiful city. when we arrived at the main station we bought a map for 2.50 and used it to walk about 20 minutes to the Anne Frank House. OK so I knew that ideally you should buy tickets online ahead of time and not wait in the ridiculous line but I did not and so we did (wait in line for 45 min.) Did I mention it was 32 degrees out and windy! Despite that we made it in and it was Amazing. I'm not sure my entire family enjoyed it as much as I did, but I was the only one that read the diary so I think that helped me connect a little more. The area they lived in has remained so intact it's unreal. The original bookcase that concealed the entry still stands in front of the door. The pictures she pasted onto the  wall during the war are still hanging only now they are covered in thick plexi glass, and in the last room is her diary unfolded laying on a pillow. Amazing!!! I bought Stella a copy of her diary in the museum because I could not think of a better place to buy it then the same building it was written in. I hope she reads it and loves it as much as I did. The kids had many questions about the war on the way home but as Anne Franks father said:

                                                                   To build a future you have to know the past.
                                                                    Otto Frank, 1967



                                         About 1/2 way through the line


                                         Eating Bagels in line ... very cold

No comments: