Thursday, January 31, 2013

International Market

    Today I got to experience one of the great things about going to an international school. Once a month they host an international market place. Different Vendors set up booths in the high school gym with various products, but mostly food. A lot of the food is homemade by different moms who's kids attend ISD. Today was the first market since we have arrived and I took the opportunity to buy some of the things others have been raving about. Like.... One mother makes Thai food that you can order weekly and then she sells out of the trunk of her car in the school parking lot.  I thought we would try some for dinner tonight before I put in an order. So we tried two different  curry dishes with rice and spring rolls. There was also a mother from France with different quiches and breads so to go with our Thai dinner I picked up a vegetable quiche and a bread stick filled with feta cheese. To complete our worldly dinner I got some delicious cake pops from two American ladies.
   I did not buy anything but at it, but there was also an american dry goods store at the market. The American store sold such delights as overpriced poptarts, super expensive yellow mustard, and the rare pancake syrup. However I am not yet desperate enough for a poptart to pay the elevated price. ($7.80a box)
      Oh and I was very happy to see they also set up a table of English books at very low cost and all the profits they receive from sells go to a school in Tanzania.  Next time I am in need of some new books I will know where to go.

No comments: